It is that time of the year with festivities in the air. Shopping and gifting are integral parts of Indian festivals. No wonder we see a host of fairs and exhibitions being organised routinely this time of the year.
Two most popular fairs in Delhi NCR are Blind School Diwali Mela and Sundernagar Diwali Mela. Both are held within a few kilometers from each other and draw a lot of footfall. We have been getting a host of queries as to which fair to attend. To answer your questions, below is a comparison for your ease of reference.
Blind School Diwali Bazaar
Date: 10-16th October 2017
Venue: Blind School Grounds near Oberoi Hotel, Lodhi Road
Time: 10AM – 8PM
For stall inquiry visit: BlindRelief.org or call: 65650969/70 & 24361376
Sunder Nagar Diwali Mela
Date: 14-15th October 2017
Venue: Sunder Nagar
Time: 5PM – 10PM
For stall inquiry call: 24351923, 8470054921, 9871789089
- Blind School Mela is a day long bazaar that happens for almost a week while Sunder Nagar Diwali Mela is an evening fair that happens over a weekend
- Blind School Mela has no entry charges while Sunder nagar Mela is ticketed.
- Blind School Mela has a dedicated parking area at Sunheri Bag bus terminus. Sunder nagar Mela parking is elusive and the lanes and by-lanes are the only solution.
- There are giant wheels, merry-go-rounds and other rides at Sunder nagar Mela. There is no such play-zone at Blind School Mela.
- There are many games and contests at Sunder nagar Mela ground. These draw a lot of kid and young crowd. There are no games and contests at Blind School Mela.
- Blind School Mela has a lot of traditional items such as handloom saris, dresses, kurtas, linen. Patchwork quilts, coats, handwoven Himachali shawls and jackets are also available here. Sunder nagar Mela has some clothes but it is rarely from the handloom genre.
- Blind School Mela carries a host of handicrafts, light furniture, lamps. Such items are not so common at Sunder nagar.
- Blind School Mela has a variety of Diwali lamps, candles, lanterns. Sunder nagar also has some stalls but not as much as Blind School.
- The Blind School boys sell amazing home produced items like hand made paper wrappers, cool arty gift bags and candles in a dedicated stall. Sunder nagar Mela does not have this stall.
- There was an art installation by Indigo at Blind School Mela last year that upped the arty quotient.
- Both the fairs have ample chocolate and other food items that can be purchased as gifts.
- Both the fairs have dedicated food zones and snacking options for visitors.
Both the Melas are fun affairs. But somehow the flavours are different.
Blind School Mela is about shopping while Sundernagar Mela focuses more on entertainment. Since there is scope for both activities in any festivals, both these Melas are Fun-Dos of the season.